It’s no secret that we are big fans of the Tres Leches cake and we would love you to join this fandom as well.
Contrary to it’s fancy sounding name, this cake is quite simple. It’s basically a vanilla sponge cake soaked in three types of milk and topped with whipped cream.
The description may lead you to think that it’s just “milk overdose” ( I had that assumption as well before I made it myself ) but trust me, it’s all so well balanced and the fruit topping cuts through the richness so beautifully that you will forget that you ever questioned the taste of this dessert. So go get some milk and try it at home! Also, this cake is best served cold.
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup (100gm) butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
For the milk soak and topping:
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- 1/2 can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 180c. Line a square/rectangular baking dish. A square/rectangular Pyrex dish is best as you will be able to directly serve the finished cake from it.
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy ( 2-3mins). Add the vanilla followed by the eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour mixture in between adding each egg. Fold in the rest of the flour, add the milk and mix.
- Pour the batter in prepared pan and bake for 25-30 mins or until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let it cool for 10mins. At this point you can turn out the cake and transfer it to a serving dish (make sure the dish is deep enough to catch the excess milk) or if your cake pan is presentable enough you can finish the cake without transferring it anywhere else. Once you add the milk mixture to the cake you will not be able to transfer it to another serving dish (trust me I’ve tried and milk went all over the new plate and table).
- Preparing the milk mixture: Combine whole milk, condensed milk and evaporated milk in a bowl/measuring cup.
- Assembly: After the cake is cool, pierce cake several times using a fork or toothpick. Slowly, pour over the milk mixture and let the cake soak it all in. Whip the cream to stiff peaks and spread over the cake. Add any fruit topping of choice and refrigerate. This cake is best served cold.