My first bake with strawberries this season is a twist to one of my most favourite cakes of all time, the banana bread. This loaf cake is such a delight that you’ll want to bake it everyday… and the best news is, you can-because the recipe is that easy to whip up.
The little pockets of strawberries add a refreshing punch to the warm cinnamon-y base of the cake. It’s a great comfort cake but you can also turn it into a glamorous dessert by warming a slice in the oven and serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This recipes makes one loaf cake (also known as pound cake) but if you’re in the mood for spreading some happiness then you can divide the batter into two smaller loaf tins and give one to your neighbour or your favourite person…just like I did :p
(Recipe adapted from http://bit.ly/2l2aTmR)
- Flour- 1 3/4th cup (230gm)
- Baking Powder- 1tsp
- Baking Soda- 1/4th tsp
- Ground Cinnamon-1tsp
- Sugar- 3/4th cup (150gm)
- Melted Butter- ½ cup (100gm)
- Bananas- 3 (very ripe)
- Milk- 1/4th cup
- Strawberries- 6/7 (cut into very small pieces)
- Preheat oven to 180c and butter and flour one 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan.
- Dry ingredients: In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix it all together using a whisk or a fork. Add in the sugar and give everything a good mix again.
- Wet ingredients: In a medium bowl mash the bananas using a fork, add the melted butter and then add the eggs (slightly beaten). Mix it all together using a rubber spatula or the fork you have in hand.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. At this point add the 1/4th cup milk to the mixture, give it one stir. Then sprinkle in the strawberry pieces in two turns (Do not over-mix the batter as it might make the cake rubbery).
- Pour the batter into prepared tins and sprinkle some more strawberries over the top and some nuts too if you like. Bake for 50 mins or until a cake toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
It’s good to keep in mind that since the cake contains very ripe bananas and strawberries, it does not store well. It’s best to finish it within 3 days of baking.
Don’t forget to bargain when buying strawberries (most fruit shops can be quite a rip off)